MORE THAN A BOSSA NOVA
an intermediate guitar workshop by Daniel Chai
Organised by Playground Studio & Supported by City Music
Date: 4 Nov (Mon)
Time: 730pm - 930pm
Venue: Living Room @ Room2F
The 2nd in the Kickstart series,
Daniel will take the class through the
essence of the Bossa Nova.
With music history and the basics of what make up the Bossa Nova harmony and groove, you will go away with the essential tools to play your favourite songs in this popular and enduring genre style.
A name known to many in the music scene, Daniel has toured and worked with many artistes like Stefanie Sun, Angela Chang and JJ Lin and has been involved in numerous musical theatre productions like The Lion King and Chorus Line.
Besides teaching at various institutions Like Lasalle College of the Arts and performing with various orchestras, Daniel also keeps a busy schedule producing, arranging and sessioning for various projects. Daniel also runs a professional studio "Daniel’s Room".
*** Some basic knowledge of chords, harmony and plucking are needed for this intermediate level workshop. Participants are encouraged to bring their own guitars ***
Guitar Accessories will be given away as prizes during the workshop,
Sponsored by City Music Singapore
What you will learn:
1. Some History and background on how Bossa Nova developed as an off shoot of Samba. From about 1950s. And subsequently American musicians brought it back to US in 1960s etc
2. Basics - hand positions and fingerings
3. Basic chord types: 6/9, mi7/9, altered chords - in addition to basic 7th chords
4. Basic concept of the rhythm
a. Moving bass and chords
b. Typical chord progressions
d. One and 2 bar patterns
e. Other performance techniques
5. Brief on Samba, Afro Cuban (‘salsa’) brief - bolero, Cha Cha, mambo, nanigo etc
6. Q&A and suggested listening
ROOM2F Terms & Conditions:
Room2F is a workshop venue provider and will not be liable for the satisfaction of the workshop presented.
All payments made are direct to the workshop instructor. Therefore, no refunds or changes in schedule are to be sought from Room2F. Please contact the instructor directly if you have any queries or issues.